I bought a tub of amazing mold rubber from Michaels two months ago. I made a few molds with it two times after I bought it and they came out great. Now Yesterday, and today I tried to make some molds under the same conditions, and material and they are not curing at all. I poured them at 3pm today, and they are still a thick liquid. Usually they were solid in 4 hours max. I mixed 2oz of silicone with 1 scoop of catalyst like I always have. Idk what to do and yesterday I had to clean out the first uncured mold to save the crystals I was trying to mold, and it was a disaster, I had to soak my hands to get it off my fingers, ruined a towel, and ruined my mold box.
May have just answered your other post on the other thread ... but in case it wasn't you ...
Moisture is really the only possible contaminate of the catalyst. If you used it a couple months ago and it worked fine, I'd look to see if there is any crystallization or chunks in the catalyst bottle. If there is, the tin (which cures the base) may have reacted with moisture nullifying it so it is less reactive ... possibly even no reaction left which sounds like it might be the case.
If you'd like, give us a call and we can send you new catalyst to pour your mold as well as use up your remaining base.
Hi did this ever get solved? I had the same problem today. I mixed 2:1 ratio and only the very outside was cured, and when i poked the outer layer to check under it the inside was still not cured. It looked more like pudding than anything. Almost like a pancake that wasnt completely cooked.
I believe it was solved offline but we can go over your problem and try to fix it for you. First let's go over your ratio, you said you did a 2:1 ratio but Amazing Mold Rubber is a 10:1 ratio by WEIGHT - if you did a 2:1 ratio then the ratio is off which could throw off the curing process. Also are you doing it by volume or weight - the Amazing Mold Rubber needs to be done by weight and not volume which will also throw off the curing.