Is there a minimum temperature for the work area when using alumilite amazing clear cast? I’m coating glitter tumblers and would prefer to work outside due to fumes, but I need to know how warm it needs to be for proper application and curing. Also, how much does temp affect curing time?
The Clears do let off a little bit of fumes but if you just have a fan or two circulating the air in the room and the room itself is fairly open, it will disperse any fumes you may notice. And the only reason I ever notice any fumes while working is because when I measure I bring my eyes (and nose) down to the level of the cups and I can barely notice it. And I have allergies (allergic to dogs and dust) and I have two dogs in the house just feet away from my work area so if there were any fumes not dissipated by the house fans, I would know right away. So unless you have someone who is on oxygen therapy, you don't need to worry about fumes inside as long as you have a good fan or two in an open work area. If you work in the kitchen, you can also put the tumblers on the stove top (make sure you cover it with something first so you don't get any Clear on it) and turn on the stove hood vent to pull out the fumes.
But as to your question: somewhere around 70 degrees is an ideal working and curing temperature. Cold does slow down the curing process and it also makes the resin harder to mix thoroughly so you'll need to mix for a longer time to be sure it's fully mixed. Higher heat temperature speeds up the curing.
Thanks! I thought the fumes were dangerous, and I was concerned about working in the house. So will keeping the HVAC fan circulating and a box fan in the room be sufficient, without any venting to the outside? If so, then that’s fantastic news. That makes the temperature question moot. I have kids and pets, and it’s so hard to know what is “adequate ventilation.” I would love to finish these gifts before Christmas, but just wasn’t willing to risk anyone’s health.