I know that casting non-food material in a food safe mold can contaminate the mold but what about if you use a clay casting to make the mold itself? I have a couple of Easter molds that I made when I first started making custom molds (and it's been a long time since I made them) and I thought to make a couple more with the same castings (see pictures below). Thing is, when I first started I didn't know as much as I do now and have been using clay only as a test casting and making the final castings in resin for making the food safe molds. And when I pulled out the Easter castings, I found that they weren't resin - they're baked clay sealed with acrylic spray (which I don't use since it makes the clay sticky as you can see from the shininess on the left side of each of the pictures). On top of that, I'm out of resin and my checkbook says I'm not allowed to buy any more for quite a while.
So I'm wanting to know if I should try to use the clay castings (with the sticky sealer on them) or if it will contaminate the molds? Also I'm wondering if I should stop using the molds I made for food?
I've been using them for a while and the molds were made before I sealed the clay and the molds themselves were made soon after the clay was baked. I haven't noticed any problems with the gummies or hard candy made in the molds but then again, I have no idea how to tell if the mold is contaminated other than the fact that I know they were made from clay castings. So should I stop using the molds and don't make any more with the clay castings?
Good thing I waited and didn't use these then. Thanks for making it more clear for me
And I think I'll give you guys a call tomorrow, I've found a problem with a RC-3 casting that I'm trying to make a mold of and the mold is leaving "residue" on the casting and I'm trying to figure out why so I think I should make time to call and speak to a person in real time.
Yup it's working fine now. I think it was a combination of just that the mold was a little small (most of mine are considering I'm using them to make candy mold originals) and not enough heat (broke out the hair dryer to help warm mold) and the molds were a little "new". I left it alone for a day or two and it stopped leaving residue.