I've been experimenting with dying Alumilite clear hoping to create pen blanks that are semi-transparent. During the initial mixing I like the results, the latest being a beautiful transparent emerald green by mixing a drop of yellow and a drop of ocean blue in. After pouring and pressure casting a test I find that the result is largely opaque but the same color on the surface. The interior however is somewhat transparent but very dark. Is there something I can do to ensure the interior remains lighter?
Each test has been mixing the resin (clear slow) per the instructions then mixing in the dye after, no more than a drop or two depending on the size of the test batch with most tests done with a single drop. The batch is then poured and pressure cast at 30 psi overnight.
I am casting brake light lenses using Alumilite Water Clear, measuring 90 grams of both A and B using 30 drops of Alumilite Red dye. Mix is in Part A before degassing then degassing both before mixing the two parts. Then setting the timer for 5 minutes mixing parts A and B using a scale to add part B, mixing, degassing again before pouring. Pouring is over the defusing lines in the lens moving back and forth and dumping the remainder in the bottom half of the squish mold and placing in a compression pot at 60 psi for 2.5 hours. Parts always come out great. All Alumilite products are stored in a temperature controlled area and I place two three inch square cuts of plastic bag between the part B cap and the bottle. I have used Water Clear from the same two gallon bottle for over 18 months with no problems.