Post by johnjohnson42 on Mar 28, 2020 20:04:02 GMT -5
Is it possible to add enough brass or copper powder to alumilite clear to give the finished piece a metallic look once it has been sanded and polished? If so, what ratio of metal powder to resin would be needed to still allow the resin to properly cure yet still have the appearance of actual copper or brass? Thanks.
To give it the uniform appearance of copper or brass, you might be better off coating the surface instead of using the powder if you want a uniformly solid coloring. If you don't have a spray to do the coating, you can do a thin layer of coating inside the mold then pour a thin layer over top of it and keep the mold rotated (to evenly coat it) until it sets up when the open time is up. Then pouring the middle with the rest of the clear. This will let you not have to use a huge amount of powder to color the entire casting.
If you go with the spray, be sure to follow the directions for priming either the demolded clear or coating the mold itself before pouring the clear so that the spray bonds well with the clear.
Post by johnjohnson42 on Mar 29, 2020 17:10:47 GMT -5
Ok thanks... but I probably should have clarified. My intent would be to fill voids in one of my turnings, with the wood being the actual mold if you will. Basically mix resin with the powder and cast directly into the turning itself. Let it harden under pressure, then turn off the outer edges and sand and polish. I’ve done it with brass powder and thin CA before, but that was on a much smaller scale. I may have to rethink this.
Ah then the powder in the clear should work the same as the CA if not a bit better - the clears are very tough and can handle most sanding/cutting you want to do. But that is my understanding of it - I haven't used the powders personally so I'm going by what I've heard. It sounds like you're doing in "overlay" with the clear and powder, am I closer to what you are aiming for?
Post by johnjohnson42 on Mar 30, 2020 8:24:42 GMT -5
Right... what I’m actually attempting to accomplish is a tea light holder with a resin basin that looks like brass for the candle. Instead of an actual small brass cup containing the candle, I was hoping it would be possible to drill out a little larger with a forstner, fill that cavity with a resin/brass powder mixture, let it cure and then re-drill for the actual diameter of the candle.... sand and polish. Where the final result looks like a brass basin for the candle.
I mixed up a small test batch yesterday where I put in quite a bit of brass powder... actually more than I thought necessary ... once/if it cures, I’ll sand and polish to see what it looks like. I may try an epoxy mix with the powder as well.