I've also sped up the 7 day full cure time using my hair dryer. I did get tired after awhile (don't have a stand to put the dryer on) and had to do it only twice but it did shorten the time to 4 or 5 days to hit full cure. And that was only doing the hair dryer twice for 10 minutes each time. I did find that the resin does stay a bit sticky until it hit full cure (which I expected) but no problems after that. If I did it a couple more times I might have shortened it a day or two more but not much more than that.
Post by carol - Alumilite Corp on May 29, 2018 15:32:15 GMT -5
Thanks for sharing... with all the resins, heat is the only accelerator. When I do trade shows I have my handy warming (no flame) griddle (used strictly for resins no food cooking anymore) as a work table for the short cure time resins. We spray it with release, keep it on 120F through the day with molds and resin sitting on it... we are always ready for the next demo that shows the magic of the resins in short order. This does not apply to the clears having that much quicker cure time... but it is a good work table to have at home for those who do need to accelerate cure times and/or preheat molds or do a post cure.
Got a question about using the griddle, I'm thinking of looking around for a cheap one to use only for the molds and resins. Do you spray the griddle with release and put the mold on top of the spray to warm the mold up before pouring the resin in it? And how long do you leave the mold on the griddle to warm it? Do you leave the mold on the griddle while the resin is in it while the resin is hardening up? Do you ever leave the resin itself on the griddle to speed up the cure or is that a no-no? And if you do leave the resin itself on the griddle, do you spray release first then put the resin on top of the release?
Okay so it was more than one question... But I like to ask and experiment and if you're already doing it this way then I don't have to experiment
Post by carol - Alumilite Corp on Jun 4, 2018 14:37:07 GMT -5
Yes I do spray the griddle with the UMR release prior to setting the mold or resin on it. This makes an easier clean up as things can get over poured! I then do put the mold on there to preheat it when I do shows or class demonstrations. Notoes, I do let the resin sit on there to keep it warmed at about 120F so the reaction time to cure in the molds is short as hundreds of people can visit our booths at trade shows to see demonstrations of the resin. I leave it right in the mold while it is curing, right up to the demolding process.
Thanks for the info! I know all about over pours, I have a freebie board I use for painting and the molds themselves but I use a sink cutout piece from a countertop installation that my other half brought home for when I pour resin. That cutout is the perfect size and about half an inch thick - I'd love to have my countertops made of that stuff as it is. I'm going to have to put a griddle on my want list. And if I'm not making at least a small mess in my working area then I'm not having fun